We provide a wide range of hearing services to the City of New Orleans.
Our Approach to Hearing Healthcare
At Hearing Clinic of Greater New Orleans, we provide a variety of diagnostic services to help you with your hearing health. When you come to see us, we will perform a diagnostic evaluation of your hearing. You will receive your results immediately and we will explain the results of your hearing evaluation in full detail. The hearing evaluation will allow us to diagnose your exact type and degree of hearing loss, so we can find a solution that will help you. All of our patients are seen by a licensed Doctor of Audiology and are given professional care.
NEW! Otoset Ear Cleaning
Otoset Ear Cleaning is the fastest, easiest, and safest way to remove earwax. If impacted earwax is bothering you or affecting your hearing, we can remove it in our office in less than 5 minutes. Using micro-suction technology and liquid flow, we can break down, loosen, and remove impacted earwax. The Otoset ear cleaning system can safely remove even the most severe earwax impactions. If you have clogged ears, contact us today.
Comprehensive Hearing Evaluation
The comprehensive hearing evaluation allows us to diagnose your exact degree of hearing loss. There are three components to our hearing evaluation:
- Otoscopy is the examination of the out ear, the ear canal, and the ear drum. Using an otoscope, we will look at inside your ear to determine if there is any excessive earwax or ear infection that needs to be treated before moving onto the hearing portion of the test. If your ear looks clean and healthy then we will move on to the next part of the evaluation.
- Tympanometry is an assessment of eardrum mobility. We will place a probe at the outermost part of your ear canal to determine if there is any middle ear fluid or perforation in the eardrum. You might feel a slight change in pressure in your ear, similar to the feeling you have when taking off in an airplane. The test lasts approximately 30 seconds per ear.
- Audiometric Testing is how we evaluate your hearing ability as this measures the softest level of sound you can hear across different pitches. We will have you sit in our sound booth with a pair of headphones placed over your ears. We will then walk you through the test and how to respond every time you hear a sound or a tone. This test will determine your hearing threshold. Next, we will ask you to repeat two-syllable words that you hear. This will determine your speech recognition threshold. Then we will have you repeat twenty-five, one syllable words at a comfortable listening level in order to determine your speech understanding ability. Finally, we will place a bone oscillator headband on you, and we will ask you to press a button each time you hear a tone. This will determine what type of hearing loss you have (whether sensorineural, conductive, or mixed).
Hearing Aid Services
- Hearing Aid Consultation: The hearing aid consultation allows us to get to know you and what your hearing needs are. During this time, we will discuss your degree of hearing loss, what type of environments you spend your time in, and what you need in a hearing aid. We will go over some different options for hearing aids that we believe will help you hear better and address all of your concerns.
- Hearing Aid Fitting and Programming: Once we’ve decided which hearing aids will best suit your individual hearing needs then we will expertly fit them to your unique ear shape. This is an hour-long appointment where we will program your new hearing aids to your exact degree of hearing loss. During this time, we will also go over instructions on how to use, care, and insert/remove your hearing aids.
- Hearing Aid Repairs: We offer hearing aid repairs including changing tubes on earmolds, changing speakers on hearing aids, battery door replacements, and routine cleanings and check-ups in-office for the life of your hearing aids Any further repairs, such as damage to the digital components, must be sent to the manufacturer to be fixed. Depending on your hearing aid warranty you may have to pay an associated fee for sending your devices to the manufacturer.
Custom Earplugs and Hearing Protection
We offer a variety of custom products to protect your inner ear and hearing, including:
- Swim plugs are custom made earplugs that protect the ear and ear canal from excess water. Swim plugs will protect your ears from any moisture when you shower, bathe, or swim. If you are prone to swimmer’s ear or ear infections, swim plugs are a great way to prevent excess fluid from getting inside your ear.
- Hearing protection is the ideal way to protect your hearing from loud noise damage. If you work in loud environments, such as construction or industrial jobs, then wearing hearing protection is crucial to protect your hearing from loud machinery. We can create custom fit, comfortable earplugs that are easy to maintain and use. Hearing protection isn’t only necessary for work, it is also crucial to wear earplugs when you hunt, mow the lawn, or listen to live music.
- Musician earplugs are designed specifically for musicians to protect their hearing while allowing them to hear their music through a special filter. We have standard musician earplugs or can make them custom for your unique needs.
- In ear monitors are a more sophisticated alternative for musician earplugs as they use a digital component to mix sounds or instruments designated by the musician, while still protecting their hearing.